Did you know it only takes 11 minutes of exercise per day to make a difference and reap the health benefits of exercise? This is great news for the busy Latina entrepreneur!
We know it can be tough to make time for exercise in your busy schedules between juggling a business and personal life responsibilities. However, health is important and just a few minutes of exercise per day can go a long way in helping you manage your stress and stay fit.
For Hispanic and Latino populations, primary health concerns include high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Additionally, sitting for long hours at a desk each day can cause health issues and weaken muscles.
Many believe you cannot reap the benefits of daily exercise unless you commit to an hour or more per day, but according to a recent study only 11 minutes of daily exercise is needed to start seeing health improvements.
Below are a few simple and easy office yoga poses for the busy Latina entrepreneur.
Try these easy office yoga poses at your desk
- Interlace the fingers, pointing the index finger up over the head, press the feet into the floor and reach the fingers and crown up while relaxing the shoulders down and back.
- Exhale and press the right hip out to the side, arching over to the left. Keep the feet grounded and the legs and buttocks engaged. Reach up and out through the fingers and crown.
- Breathe and hold for 2-6 breaths.
- To release: inhale and press into the feet as you reach the fingers back up towards the ceiling.
- Repeat on the other side.
- This common pose can be easily modified to do in a seated position. To begin, sit in a sturdy chair, feet flat on the ground. Sit toward the middle of the chair.
- Place the hands on the thighs.
- Inhale and arch the back, opening the chest and lifting the chin slightly.
- Exhale and round the back, drawing the chin toward the chest.
- Repeat slowly.
- Sit sideways on a chair with the left side of the body against the back of the chair and the legs together.
- On an exhalation, twist the body to the left and use your hands to grip the back of the chair, encouraging the torso deeper into the twist while the lower body maintains its position.
- On an inhalation, release the hands and rotate the torso back to neutral.
- Repeat the posture on the opposite side.
- Sit near the edge of your chair. Reach your arms around behind you and bring your palms together, fingertips pointing down.
- Rotate your wrists and turn your fingertips in toward your spine until your fingertips are pointing up.
- Slide your palms back together in a prayer position.
- Use one hand to help pull the other hand up further on your back, to a comfortable spot. Be sure your shoulders are straight, not rounded.
- Press the outside edges of your palms lightly into your back. Press your palms together gently.
- Press your feet into the floor.
- Breathe deeply, completely filling and emptying your lungs. Hold the pose for 10 to 15 breaths.
- Exhale and release your arms.
Practicing a few simple poses a day will help you destress and remain healthy and balanced. If you’re looking to get more active this summer check out our 8 Relaxing summer activities for Latinas to recharge!
*This article contains affiliated links. If you use these links to buy an item, we may earn a small commission.