Healthier choices help us stay on track on those hectic work days that can cause us all to let our nutrition fall to the back-burner.
Your boss is demanding, your client is driving you nuts, you are behind your deadline… We all have those days when you look at the time and realize you cannot remember the last meal you ate. Or you find yourself grabbing anything in sight (probably sugary, processed foods) to ward off your hunger. Doing this all the time can place your health at serious risk. It can also impact how you perform.
Incorporating these simple tips and tricks can help you “health proof” your work day.
1.Your first line of defense
Fuel yourself with a healthy breakfast that includes at minimum:
- A complex carb with fiber to keep you full longer such as oats and multigrain options
- A lean protein like eggs, cottage cheese, or turkey bacon to feed all of your muscles (including your brain)
A big bonus is adding a dark leafy vegetable such as spinach, kale, or asparagus because they provide a boost of vitamins and minerals. Or choose a vegetable higher in water content like peppers and cucumbers to fill you up. One easy way to sneak in fruits and veggies into your breakfast is to make yourself a smoothie. Anything you can prep the night before will save you time in the morning!
2. Join the “Pack Your Lunch” club
Aim to bring your lunch at least 3 times a week so you can ensure you are making healthier choices and also saving money!
3. Build your own vending machine
Stock those drawers with whole grain crackers and cereal, plain popcorn and small portions of unsalted nuts. If you have a fridge at work, fill it with healthier choices of nutritious snacks such as fruit, raw vegetables, lower fat cheese and yogurt, and hummus.
Stay hydrated!!! Often times we think we are hungry when instead our bodies are dehydrated. Keep a water bottle with you at all times. Even setting a timer is a great way to remind you to guzzle! You want to aim to drink at least half your body weight in ounces.
You might be interested: How to tackle stress in the workplace with effective strategies
4. Bonus tips for healthier choices
Don’t work while you eat…this can set you up to eat more than your body needs…put your work to the side for 15 to 20 minutes…
If you absolutely MUST grab something on the go or are eating out do your best to find healthier choices that are higher in fiber, lower in sugar and includes a complex carbohydrate, a lean protein, and a vegetable so you are eating a more balanced meal. If salads are your go-to make sure to ask for the dressing on the side.
Practice these tips consistently and you will reap the benefits long-term! If you need Nutrition and Fitness advice, or have a question, feel free to contact me on the form below!
- 4 Tips to health proof your work day with healthier choices - February 14, 2019
- Brain fog can be alerting you about these medical conditions - January 9, 2019
- Holiday parties: Control workplace cravings with these simple tips - December 12, 2018
- Heart disease among Latinas reversing the trend - July 13, 2018
- How to tackle stress in the workplace with effective strategies - June 21, 2018