Did you know that food can help improve your focus and productivity at work? Food truly is fuel, but not just for your biceps, but for your brain too!
When we make poor choices in our nutrition it affects how we think, how we react to stress and how we function overall. How often do we just “grab” something that is fast and convenient so we can get back to our desk to meet an important deadline or be present for a very pressing meeting? Or how often do we just “skip” a meal so we can keep tackling our never ending “to do” list?
It’s time to start viewing the food you put into your body as necessary fuel that should be clean and nutritious so you can perform at your best and ensure your “brain tank” is not running on empty!
The following list of foods are brain fuel that will give you a boost to keep you focused and alert and increase your productivity at work –far more than a double espresso from Starbucks or your favorite bag of chips!
1) Oats are one of the best breakfasts you can choose to fuel the brain. Make them with water or milk and a little honey, some berries and crushed seeds like chia to also sneak in some extra fiber and keep you fuller longer.
2) Eggs are a powerhouse of amino acids, good fats, protein, vitamins and minerals. Go that extra mile and buy free range – and organic if possible. Eat boiled, poached or scrambled, but forget the fried. One of my fave brands is Eggsland Best!
3) Seeds are high in the minerals magnesium, potassium, zinc and selenium; all essential for good concentration, memory and keeping us calm. Pumpkin seeds have been shown to support the area of our brains responsible for maintaining sensory function in tact.
4) Healthy fats like avocado (omega 3 fatty acids) are absolutely essential for optimum brain power, keeping stress and depression at bay. You want to be also sure to keep your intake of saturated fat low.
5) Eat oily fish regularly like salmon, trout, sardines, mackerel, herring, anchovies and fresh tuna. Aim for three portions per week and remember wild caught is best.
6) Chocolate for chocoholics, pay attention….in order to fuel your brain effectively you need to stick to dark chocolate with a minimum 70% cocoa solids. Cocoa (from the cocoa bean) contains theobromine which contains tryptophan (the basis for serotonin), which elevates the mood.
7) Blueberries have been shown to protect our brains from short-term memory loss.
You might be interested: Erica Torres Pagano from corporate America to Total Fitness Evolution
Incorporating these foods into your diet plan is sure to improve your productivity in the workplace and in all areas of your life! Trust me…your BRAIN will thank you for it!!!
And here’s a TOP TIP…
Eating protein and complex carbohydrates together slows the release of sugar into the blood. Grab an apple with a handful of seeds to help balance blood sugar more, sustain your brain boost and increase your productivity in the workplace!
- Holiday parties: Control workplace cravings with these simple tips - December 12, 2018
- Heart disease among Latinas reversing the trend - July 13, 2018
- How to tackle stress in the workplace with effective strategies - June 21, 2018
- 7 Steps to master family and career balance - May 18, 2018
- How to fuel your brain and triple your productivity at work - April 30, 2018