While everyone has been grateful for the Thanksgiving Holiday, and the season of giving, few have asked for solidarity with those who are forced to work long hours starting on Thanksgiving Day and continuing on Black Friday, Cyber Monday and other big push for large retailers’ sales.
We wanted to support the Jobs with Justice pledge that states, “No one should have to work during the holidays to make up for the low wages they were paid or the too few hours they were scheduled for during the rest of the year.”
Every family has its special holiday traditions, and for our Jobs with Justice family, one of our favorites is right around the corner…
That’s right – Black Friday is THIS WEEK!
The Friday after Thanksgiving is always a huge day for corporate greed. Major retail stores rake in billions of dollars in just 24 hours of shopping, but most of the workers who staff those stores won’t take home their fair share of the profits they made possible. That’s why we started our own Black Friday tradition – taking action to support workers and demand respect on the job!
Large profitable retailers have been breaking the rules in favor of their bottom line – whether by staying open on holidays and keeping working people away from their families, or intentionally denying them strong wages, sane schedules and stable hours all year-round.
This Thanksgiving, Jobs With Justice is standing with retail employees and calling for fair wages and schedules throughout the year so that no one has to depend on working holiday shifts to make ends meet.
If you believe:
- Everyone deserves to have year-round economic stability with decent pay, benefits and a say in the workplace,
- Work schedules should be fair, predictable, and sustainable,
- And paid holiday leave should be the rule, not the exception.
Then join us as we fight to change how retail employees are treated – not just around the holidays, but all year.
If you agree with this pledge, please sign their petition here.
About Jobs With Justice
Jobs With Justice is leading the fight for workers’ rights and an economy that benefits everyone. We are the only nonprofit of our kind leading strategic campaigns and shaping the public discourse on every front to build power for working people. Jobs With Justice is committed to working nationally and locally, on the ground and online. We win real change for workers by combining innovative communications strategies and solid research and policy advocacy with grassroots action and mobilization.
- Martin Luther King’s Day: Which “DREAM” is dying in America? - January 18, 2021
- PPP Loan forgiveness: $50,000 loans for small business and self-employed - January 13, 2021
- Second round of PPP loans: Why you should act now and where to go - January 11, 2021
- Ted Cruz behavior damages the Latino brand and leadership - January 7, 2021
- Latinas in Business all hands in for a brighter future - December 24, 2020